Sunday, June 22, 2008

Welcome to High Maintenance Land

We probably have pretty low crime rates in Hawaii, I don't know the statistics, but if so, I think I know why: nothing lasts here.

With the heat and moisture, everything you might treasure becomes organic in no time. There are the termites for the wood things, the rust for metals (even stainless steel rusts here), moths for the fibers, earthquakes for glass and china, and mold, mildew, rats and mice for everything else. Just try and hang on to something, anything, in the tropics.

Dust to dust.

It's hell, if you have just a few things you want to last for your kids or grandkids. Not an option: everything must go.

Or it's heavenly if you long for an uncluttered existence. Hoarding, storing, and collecting do not pay off. It's a very utilitarian climate with high incentive for keeping things flowing -- today.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 6:44 PM , Blogger Soul Level said...

I like this post. I often feel bad that I don't have many things for my kids, or myself. Mementos, I mean. But it's true that it wouldn't last long here, and doesn't mean that much anyway, except as a means of learning to hold on loosely.

 
At 9:03 PM , Blogger Soul Level said...

And lucky thing... even the dead rat in the wall of the house doesn't smell that long...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home